Like a lot of parents,Kathryn Danielgets frustrated when her tween spends too much time in front of a screen, but her daughter’s TV watching habit may have just saved her life. Daniel and her 12-year-old daughter were eating dinner out at a fast food restaurant recently when the mom says she took her first bite of her steak sandwich and then couldn’t breathe.
Her daughter says she thought her mom was coughing regularly, but as she turned darker, the girl knew she needed help. She ran to tell an employee her mom was choking, but he had earbuds in and couldn’t hear her, so she started doing the Heimlich maneuver on her mother. Finally, the food popped out and she saved her mom. The girl admits she was scared and wasn’t sure it would work, but she did it. Daniel says her daughter told her she learned the life-saving skill from an episode of one of her favorite shows, "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.”
“I know I owe my life to my 12-year-old daughter,” Daniel says. “I’m so proud of her calm and poise during an overwhelming situation.”